Memorandum 2 – Personnel Hiring Policy for New Faculty and Staff
Revised September 2012
This policy establishes hiring practices intended to assure the integrity of the University’s hiring process.
- Any department wishing to create a new, unbudgeted employee position must complete and submit a Request for New Position that clearly shows the necessity of and costs related to this position. The appropriate cabinet member should offer comments and “sign off” on this request. The Request for New Position form must then be submitted to the Director of Human Resources, who shall verify the pay level and determine if the tasks as described can be assigned to existing employees. The Director of Human Resources shall then return the Request for New Position to the appropriate cabinet member, with whom s/he will discuss findings related to the request. Should the cabinet member still wish to create the new position, s/he will bring the Request to a meeting of the president’s cabinet for discussion and approval or disapproval. The cabinet will approve or disapprove any and all requests. Request for New Position form is available in the Human Resources Office.
- All salary and wage levels for new positions are to be determined solely by the Director of Human Resources with the exception of compensation determined by the Board of Trustees.
- All new positions are to be posted at least internally. All postings are to be done only by Human Resources.
Human Resources is responsible for insuring that the Personnel Hiring Policies are followed by the entire University.
- Any request to fill an open, budgeted position is to be submitted directly to the Director of Human Resources. Requests should be submitted on the form entitled Request to Open a Position, available from Human Resources. Cabinet will review all requests.
- All salary and wage levels for open positions are to be determined solely by the Director of Human Resources with the exception of compensation determined by the Board of Trustees.
- All open positions are to be posted at least internally. All postings are to be done only by Human Resources.
- Norwich University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All staff positions, once a position analysis questionnaire has been completed and evaluated, and an annual salary established, will be advertised by the Human Resources. All applications will be acknowledged by the Human Resources before being forwarded to a search committee or supervisors for careful review based on requirements stated in the ad; interviews will be scheduled by those involved in the hiring and a decision made by them. All applicants who were interviewed will be contacted by those doing the interviewing regarding their status. Those applicants who were not selected for an interview will receive a letter from the Human Resources regarding the status of the position.
- Ads for open faculty positions are reviewed by Human Resources before being advertised by the SPVAA’s Office. Faculty salaries are set by the Division Head and the SVPAA.
- Human Resources: Ext. 2075