Memorandum 3 – The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Revised September 2012
This policy prescribes practices intended to assure that Norwich University complies with The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), which protects disabled persons from discrimination in employment, hiring, transportation, access to public and private facilities and services, and telecommunications. The ADA is divided into five titles:
- Title I: Covers Private Sector employment.
- Title II: Covers program, activities and services provided by state and local governments.
- Title III: Applies to public accommodations, commercial facilities and transportation provided by private entities.
- Title IV: Applies to telecommunications.
- Title V: Contains miscellaneous provisions.
Norwich University has an ongoing program to comply with requirements identified in “Title III” of the “Americans with Disabilities Act” (Federal Register/Vol. 56, No. 144/July 26, 1991/Rules and Regulations). All new buildings and additions will be designed to comply. Barriers are being eliminated in existing buildings on a continuing basis. Programs are in place and others are being established to help those with disabilities overcome existing barriers on an interim/as needed basis. Norwich University personnel policy prohibits discrimination against any person with disabilities. Places of public accommodations will need to demonstrate good faith efforts to comply with the ADA.
The Chief Administrative Officer oversees compliance with ADA policy. Facilities Operations is responsible for complying with all code issues for existing renovations, as well as new buildings. Human Resources is responsible for investigations, hearings, and negotiations to resolve complaints, for implementing the policy on Employee Disability Accommodation in the Workplace, and for assuring that all hiring and personnel policies comply with the ADA. All student issues related to learning disabilities should be referred to the Academic Achievement Center.
- Human Resources: Ext. 2075
- Academic Achievement Center: Ext. 2130
- Chief Administrative Officer: Ext. 2148